World Bank to deepen cooperation with AIIB
World Bank and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) signed a memorandum of understanding here on Sunday to strengthen cooperation between the two institutions.
Under the MOU, both sides agreed to cooperate on areas, including development financing, staff exchanges, and analytical and sector work.
"It paves the way for the two institutions to further enhance coordination at the regional and country levels," said the World Bank in a statement on Sunday.
The two institutions have already signed a co-financing framework agreement last April. Since then, they have co-financed five projects, namely supporting power generation in Pakistan, a natural gas pipeline in Azerbaijan, and slum upgrading, dam safety, and regional infrastructure development in Indonesia.
World Bank and AIIB are discussing more projects to be co-financed in 2017 and 2018, said the statement.
"Signing this memorandum of understanding fits into our vision of a new kind of internationalism," said Jin Liqun, president of AIIB. "We place a high value on our partnerships because by working together, we greatly increase our potential for positive outcomes in Asia," the statement quoted Jin as said.
"Collaboration between development institutions is essential to make the best use of scarce resources, crow in the private sector, and meet the rising aspirations of the people we serve," said Jim Yong Kim, president of the World Bank.
Top multilateral development banks (MDBs), including World Bank, AIIB, New Development Bank, recently have agreed to deepen collaboration to encourage private sector investment in infrastructure to support sustainable and inclusive economic growth throughout the world.
These MDBs pledged not only to leverage their resources by joining forces to co-finance projects, but also help generate interest among private sector investors in public-private partnerships and the development of infrastructure.
The signing of the Hong Kong-ASEAN free trade agreement (FTA) will bring ample opportunity for the...
Members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) are the prior and primary partners o...
- Sandan Development plans Omani industrial park 366
- Major facelift as construction of roads in Lagos metropolis in Nigeria begins 202
- Government Issues Shiraz Metro Tender 194
- Philippine’s DOTC begins bidding for $3.77bn North-South railway project 174
- Xinjiang Medical University builds new campus in Karamay 145
- CCCC to build industrial park in Jalisco State 142
- Newly constructed Dangote Petrochemicals refinery in Nigeria to start operation 110
- Kenya to Construct $170 Million Power Lines Connecting Turkana Wind Farm to National Grid 108
- Norwegian firm Scatec begins plans to construct solar plants in Egypt 105