Chinese firm contracted to build massive hydropower plant in Angola
DONDO, Angola - Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos officially inaugurated the construction of the Caculo Cabaca Hydropower Project in Dondo, Angola on Friday.
Addressing the opening ceremony, Angolan Minister of Energy and Water Resources Joao Baptista Borges said the project, the largest of its kind being built in the country, is crucial to the economic construction of Angola in the future.
"It will solve the power shortage in Angola and play an active role in increasing employment of the country," he said, adding that the Angola government felt gratitude to the Chinese government and Chinese enterprises for their support to the development of Angola.
Located at the North Kwanza province, the hydropower project will be constructed by China Gezhouba Group Co Ltd (CGGC).
According to Ren Jianguo, deputy general manager of CGGC, the group will turn Caculo Cabaca Hydropower Project into a high-quality project, making contribution to Angola's energy and power, infrastructure improvement, social and economic development, and people's livelihood improvement.
Angola Caculo Cabaca Hydropower Project is currently the largest hydropower station to be constructed by a Chinese company in Africa, Ren said, adding that upon completion, the project is expected to meet more than 50 percent of the country's electricity needs.
The project has a total contractual value of $4.5 billion and has a planned installed capacity of 2,172 megawatts. The project will be completed within 80 months, and during the peak construction period nearly 10,000 jobs are expected to be provided for the locals.
According to the contract, CGGC will also be responsible for the four-year operation and maintenance of the power plant and for training a group of professional power plant operation management and technical personnel for Angola.
Cui Aimin, Chinese Ambassador to Angola, said that China is Angola's largest trading partner while Angola is China's second largest trading partner in Africa as well as the largest source country of imports in Africa.
To date, Angola is one of the countries in Africa to have the most extensive cooperation with China in investment and financing as well as infrastructure construction. China has cumulatively invested close to $50 billion in the country, covering various fields in the infrastructure sector.
- Last Article：Neighborhood's good for exports
- Next Article：Cambodian company partners with Chinese firm to develop public infrastructure
There remains certain restrictive factors in China's economic and trade cooperation with the count...
In line with Chinese President Xi Jinping's underpinning motto of the increasingly momentous pan-E...
- Sandan Development plans Omani industrial park 353
- Major facelift as construction of roads in Lagos metropolis in Nigeria begins 194
- Government Issues Shiraz Metro Tender 183
- Philippine’s DOTC begins bidding for $3.77bn North-South railway project 160
- Xinjiang Medical University builds new campus in Karamay 144
- CCCC to build industrial park in Jalisco State 132
- Newly constructed Dangote Petrochemicals refinery in Nigeria to start operation 105
- Kenya to Construct $170 Million Power Lines Connecting Turkana Wind Farm to National Grid 105
- Norwegian firm Scatec begins plans to construct solar plants in Egypt 97