OHL awarded $529m contract to rehabilitate New York tunnel after hurricane Sandy
Judlau, a subsidiary of Spanish contractor Obrascón Huarte Lain (OHL) has been awarded of a $529m contract to rehabilitate New York’s Canarsie Tunnel.
The project was awarded by New York’s Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) to a joint venture between Judlau with TC Electric, with the OHL firm owning 70% of it. The two firms have previously collaborated on similar projects.
The Canarsie Tunnel is the main connection between Brooklyn and Manhattan and serves the L subway line.
The project includes the rehabilitation of the Canarsie Tunnel following the devastation of hurricane Sandy, together with an upgrade to the capacity of the First Avenue and Bedford Avenue subway stations and the construction of a new Avenue B substation.
During the storm, the Canarsie Tunnel was flooded and a large part of the electricity and communications equipment and subsystems were damaged. The joint venture will perform civil work for rehabilitating the tunnel, repairing the defects and replacing the roadbed, tracks, sleepers and other elements.
The project includes the modernisation of structures, energy, lighting, signals and communications components in the tunnel.
The team will carry out excavations, the relocation of utilities, upgrades and reinforcements of the First Avenue station in Manhattan and the Bedford station in Brooklyn.
Flood mitigation and protection systems will be installed for reducing the risk of future flooding and for protecting critical components.
The project will increase the frequency of the trains on the L Line.
The signing of the Hong Kong-ASEAN free trade agreement (FTA) will bring ample opportunity for the...
Members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) are the prior and primary partners o...
- Sandan Development plans Omani industrial park 366
- Major facelift as construction of roads in Lagos metropolis in Nigeria begins 201
- Government Issues Shiraz Metro Tender 194
- Philippine’s DOTC begins bidding for $3.77bn North-South railway project 174
- Xinjiang Medical University builds new campus in Karamay 145
- CCCC to build industrial park in Jalisco State 142
- Newly constructed Dangote Petrochemicals refinery in Nigeria to start operation 110
- Kenya to Construct $170 Million Power Lines Connecting Turkana Wind Farm to National Grid 108
- Norwegian firm Scatec begins plans to construct solar plants in Egypt 105