Amazon holds beauty contest to find site for its $5bn headquarters
American retailer Amazon is planning a second North American headquarters with a budget of $5bn, and is setting out its economic benefits in order to get the best possible deal from the state or province that hosts the facility.
Based somewhere in North America, Amazon claims its “HQ2” will create 50,000 high-paying jobs.
The company estimates that its investments in Seattle from 2010 through 2016 resulted in an additional $38bn to the city’s economy, based on an assumption that every dollar invested by Amazon in Seattle produced an additional $1.4 in indirect income.
In a recent deal to set up a Foxconn LCD screen factory in Wisconsin, the state authorities offered $3bn in incentives: half to offset Foxconn’s capital costs and half for workforce development. The full $3bn will be awarded over 20 years if Foxconn meets hiring targets.
Jeff Bezos, Amazon’s founder, said: “We expect HQ2 to be a full equal to our Seattle headquarters.”
In choosing the location for HQ2, Amazon has expressed a preference for:
Metropolitan areas with more than one million people
A stable, business friendly environment
Urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent
Communities that think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options
Amazon say it “wants to encourage states and communities to think creatively for viable real estate options, while not negatively affecting our preferred timeline”.
Amazon is opening the Amazon HQ2 Request for Proposal now; visit here (www.amazon.com/amazonHQ2) to learn more or submit a proposal.
There remains certain restrictive factors in China's economic and trade cooperation with the count...
In line with Chinese President Xi Jinping's underpinning motto of the increasingly momentous pan-E...
- Sandan Development plans Omani industrial park 354
- Major facelift as construction of roads in Lagos metropolis in Nigeria begins 194
- Government Issues Shiraz Metro Tender 183
- Philippine’s DOTC begins bidding for $3.77bn North-South railway project 161
- Xinjiang Medical University builds new campus in Karamay 144
- CCCC to build industrial park in Jalisco State 132
- Newly constructed Dangote Petrochemicals refinery in Nigeria to start operation 106
- Kenya to Construct $170 Million Power Lines Connecting Turkana Wind Farm to National Grid 106
- Norwegian firm Scatec begins plans to construct solar plants in Egypt 97