ASEAN-Hong Kong free trade agreement expected to be inked
Ong Ka Chuan, second minister of the Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Malaysia, announced that ASEAN and Hong Kong may sign a free trade agreement in October, the Philippine Star newspaper reported on Aug 14.
According to the report, due to certain 'technical problems', the signing of the agreement has been delayed from the end of last year until now. ASEAN is Hong Kong's second largest trading partner, second only to the Chinese mainland. ASEAN is also Hong Kong's fourth largest export market.
Government data from Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in July showed that Hong Kong's exports to Asia rose 14.1 percent in June year-on-year, and the main destinations include Singapore, Thailand and the Philippines, all members of ASEAN. The fastest growing exporters to Hong Kong are Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore.
It is believed that the free trade agreement will eliminate tariff barriers and further boost the local economic recovery.
The signing of the Hong Kong-ASEAN free trade agreement (FTA) will bring ample opportunity for the...
Members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) are the prior and primary partners o...
- Sandan Development plans Omani industrial park 366
- Major facelift as construction of roads in Lagos metropolis in Nigeria begins 202
- Government Issues Shiraz Metro Tender 194
- Philippine’s DOTC begins bidding for $3.77bn North-South railway project 174
- Xinjiang Medical University builds new campus in Karamay 145
- CCCC to build industrial park in Jalisco State 142
- Newly constructed Dangote Petrochemicals refinery in Nigeria to start operation 110
- Kenya to Construct $170 Million Power Lines Connecting Turkana Wind Farm to National Grid 108
- Norwegian firm Scatec begins plans to construct solar plants in Egypt 105