ADB to help improve urban service delivery, infrastructures in Nepal
KATHMANDU, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) -- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a 150-million-U.S.-dollar loan to help improve the delivery of urban services and infrastructure in eight municipalities in the southern parts of Nepal.
Issuing a statement on Monday, ADB Nepal office informed that the project will help those municipalities become more sustainable, inclusive and resilient places to live in for more than 1.5 million people.
"Improving urban infrastructure and service delivery in major urban areas in Nepal, including in the Terai region, is a must given their importance to the country's economy and development," Vivian Castro-Wooldridge, an ADB Urban Development Specialist has been quoted in the statement.
Urbanization in Nepal has been growing at a rapid pace at about 6 percent since the 1970s. However, this has not contributed significantly to inclusive economic growth due to inadequate urban planning, weak institutions, neglected operations and maintenance of existing urban infrastructures, as well as limited technical capacity.
To address this issue, it is estimated that the government would need to double its spending on urban infrastructure to meet the backlog of future demand up to 2030 worth 24.5 billion dollars.
According to ADB, the project will also support a project development facility for the preparation of a pipeline of urban infrastructure projects, particularly in solid waste management, drainage, roads, water supply, and sanitation, with high readiness to reduce future startup delays.
The landmark signing of a bilateral memorandum of understanding on the Belt and Road (B&R) initiat...
Power interconnection, with the UHV (ultra-high-voltage) power grid as the backbone network, consi...
- Sandan Development plans Omani industrial park 380
- Major facelift as construction of roads in Lagos metropolis in Nigeria begins 210
- Government Issues Shiraz Metro Tender 202
- Philippine’s DOTC begins bidding for $3.77bn North-South railway project 177
- CCCC to build industrial park in Jalisco State 152
- Xinjiang Medical University builds new campus in Karamay 147
- Norwegian firm Scatec begins plans to construct solar plants in Egypt 117
- Kenya to Construct $170 Million Power Lines Connecting Turkana Wind Farm to National Grid 113
- Newly constructed Dangote Petrochemicals refinery in Nigeria to start operation 112